Thursday, November 04, 2004

The Weekend Past

I went to visit my relatives in Laguna this past weekend. We left Friday morning, and got back Tuesday afternoon. They met Dylan for the first time. Before we actually brought him there, we were wondering what their reaction would be towards him and my sister. Being the conservative kind of people that they are, I don't think that Thea's pregnancy was something they celebrated, her being so young, and the fact that she wasn't getting married (probably the biggest shock to them).

We weren't exactly sure of what sort of reaction they were gonna express, but thankfully, when the time came for them to meet, the reactions were all good. Like I've said, Dylan has this power to make you smile and be happy no matter what sort of mood you might be in. He was a hit, they loved him.

He didn't stay there as long as the rest of us did, he and Thea left the next day. But I stayed, and it was a pretty long weekend. I wasn't exactly up for doing anything, so I ended up staying indoors the entire time. Pretty much in front of the TV, watching whatever I could, for some unknown reason. I was a TV addict the whole weekend.

We went out on November first (Monday) because it was all saints day. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the day of the dead only "celebrated" in the Philippines? Basically, what happens is, you go to the cemetery to visit your relatives or anybody who's passed away. Bring flowers, light a candle, say some prayers.

I actually didn't want to go because the first time we ever went (the year my lolo died), it was scorching hot and the number of people was just nauseating. I don't know about you, but I hate crowds, so it wasn't exactly something I was looking forward to. Not that I don't or didn't love my lolo, and yea, I do miss him, but I just don't see the point of having to go to the cemetery and deal with things I'd rather not deal with (heat and crowds).

But I went anyway because I didn't want to be disrespectful, and my mom promised that it would be quick, and since it was reeeeaally early in the morning, it wouldn't be that hot, and the number of people would be minimal. And it was bearable, thankfully. But hanging out in the cemetery...

So the weekend was pretty laid back for me. Talk about being super lazy and having the worst case of the munchies though.

No comments: